Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue February 12, 2013
Mardi Gras Celebrations Rolling All Day In Alabama
Plastic beads and moon pies will be flying all day on the Alabama coast.
Parades began in the morning and are scheduled to go into the night in Mobile and Baldwin counties for Fat Tuesday.
Rain is in the forecast, but organizers say the celebration will continue unless the weather turns severe.
Six parades are scheduled in Mobile, home of the nation's oldest Mardi Gras festivities. The beach cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach also have parades.
Fat Tuesday marks the end of the Mardi Gras season and the beginning of the Christian season of Lent, which leads to Easter.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.