Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Arts & Life
Fri September 28, 2012
Man Pleads Not Guilty in Auburn to Killing 3
A Montgomery man says he's not guilty in a shooting that killed two one-time Auburn University football players and a third man in June.
Desmonte Leonard entered the plea in Lee County on Thursday.
A judge scheduled a bond hearing for the 22-year-old Leonard for Nov. 14.
Police say Leonard opened fire at a pool party near the Auburn campus on June 9. Former Auburn football players Edward Christian and Ladarious Phillips were killed, along with DeMario Pitts of Opelika.
The shooting wounded current Auburn player Eric Mack and two Roanoke men, Xavier Moss and John Robertson.
Leonard is charged with capital murder, attempted murder and assault. The defense wants prosecutors to say whether they plan to seek the death penalty against Leonard.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press