Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Arts & Life
Fri September 28, 2012
Man Pleads Not Guilty in Auburn to Killing 3
A Montgomery man says he's not guilty in a shooting that killed two one-time Auburn University football players and a third man in June.
Desmonte Leonard entered the plea in Lee County on Thursday.
A judge scheduled a bond hearing for the 22-year-old Leonard for Nov. 14.
Police say Leonard opened fire at a pool party near the Auburn campus on June 9. Former Auburn football players Edward Christian and Ladarious Phillips were killed, along with DeMario Pitts of Opelika.
The shooting wounded current Auburn player Eric Mack and two Roanoke men, Xavier Moss and John Robertson.
Leonard is charged with capital murder, attempted murder and assault. The defense wants prosecutors to say whether they plan to seek the death penalty against Leonard.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press