Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue January 25, 2005
Lumber Employees Complain About Layoffs
By Alabama Public Radio
Linden, AL – Former employees of Linden Lumber Company are complaining about unexpected layoffs. The company fired more than 150 workers without prior notice. Former employee Kevin Williams says he and others were told Wednesday that they were no longer with the company. But he says they were given no explanation. Williams says the company also shut down for two weeks during the holidays--again without an explanation. He and others complain that they should have been notified of the layoffs then, so they could start looking for other jobs. Linden Lumber released a statement saying that staff cutbacks would help the company stay competitive.