Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Tue December 24, 2013
Little girl prefers Mobile over Disney World
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - A young girl who cried after learning her family wasn't going to Mobile but was taking a surprise trip to Disney World was presented with a key to the city, and has been named an honorary citizen and ambassador. The Mobile Press-Register reports Mayor Sandy Stimpson bestowed the honor on 3-year-old Mary Carlisle Williams Monday - along with a yearlong pass to the Mobile Museum of Art, a gift certificate, teddy bears and a candy cane. A video of Williams' disappointment was posted online and gained lots of attention. Stimpson says Williams, of Magnolia Springs, brought more focus to Mobile than many do in a lifetime. Mary Carlisle's mother told the newspaper her grandmother lives in Mobile, and she wanted to open Chick-fil-A with her key to the city.