Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Arts & Life
Tue December 24, 2013
Little girl prefers Mobile over Disney World
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - A young girl who cried after learning her family wasn't going to Mobile but was taking a surprise trip to Disney World was presented with a key to the city, and has been named an honorary citizen and ambassador. The Mobile Press-Register reports Mayor Sandy Stimpson bestowed the honor on 3-year-old Mary Carlisle Williams Monday - along with a yearlong pass to the Mobile Museum of Art, a gift certificate, teddy bears and a candy cane. A video of Williams' disappointment was posted online and gained lots of attention. Stimpson says Williams, of Magnolia Springs, brought more focus to Mobile than many do in a lifetime. Mary Carlisle's mother told the newspaper her grandmother lives in Mobile, and she wanted to open Chick-fil-A with her key to the city.