Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Tue June 19, 2012
Legislative Panel To Discuss Ala. Prison Violence
Montgomery, AL – A joint legislative oversight committee on prisons is planning to meet to discuss reports of increased violence in Alabama prisons.
A legislative panel has scheduled a meeting for 1 p.m. Wednesday in the Joint Briefing Room at the Alabama Statehouse to discuss reports of rising inmate-on-inmate violence in prisons. The Legislature's Joint Prison Oversight Committee will also discuss allegations of prison employees sexually abusing women inmates at Tutwiler Prison in Wetumpka.
The committee consists of three members of the House of Representatives and three senators. The chairman, Republican Sen. Cam Ward of Alabaster, said committee members would hear a presentation from a company called The Pinnacle Group concerning a type of ankle bracelet that can be used to keep up with prisoners who are on probation or work release.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)