Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon March 25, 2013
IRS: 440,000 Alabamians Will Wait to File in April
The Internal Revenue Service estimates 440,000 Alabamians will wait until April to file their tax returns.
IRS spokesman Dan Boone says people waiting until close to the April 15 deadline should not miss out on earned income tax credits. He said many lower-income workers can qualify. Some workers who couldn't qualify in previous years may now qualify because of a change in marital status or addition of a child. A person who worked some part of 2012 and had a household income below $50,270 may qualify.
Boone said there are many IRS-certified volunteers who will prepare and file tax returns for free. The IRS has a toll free number (1-800-906-9887) where callers can see if they qualify for free help and find a location.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
2009 Tax Refunds
Alabama tax filing season
Tax Preparer Test