Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Politics & Government
Fri August 31, 2012
Inmates Evacuated From Isaac Returned to Mobile
The 257 Alabama prison inmates transferred out of a state facility in Mobile County as Hurricane Isaac was approaching the coast have been returned to Mobile.
Department of Corrections Commissioner Kim Thomas ordered the inmates returned Thursday to Mobile Community Based Facility as the remnants of Isaac had mostly left Alabama.
Thomas on Monday ordered the inmates temporarily transferred to Easterling Correctional Facility in Barbour County and to Bullock Correctional Facility in Bullock County. Thomas said the inmates were returned to Mobile Thursday without incident.
Thomas said at the time the decision was made to make the transfers Isaac's point of landfall was uncertain.
He said the move was made to help insure the safety of the inmates.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.