Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Fri August 31, 2012
Inmates Evacuated From Isaac Returned to Mobile
The 257 Alabama prison inmates transferred out of a state facility in Mobile County as Hurricane Isaac was approaching the coast have been returned to Mobile.
Department of Corrections Commissioner Kim Thomas ordered the inmates returned Thursday to Mobile Community Based Facility as the remnants of Isaac had mostly left Alabama.
Thomas on Monday ordered the inmates temporarily transferred to Easterling Correctional Facility in Barbour County and to Bullock Correctional Facility in Bullock County. Thomas said the inmates were returned to Mobile Thursday without incident.
Thomas said at the time the decision was made to make the transfers Isaac's point of landfall was uncertain.
He said the move was made to help insure the safety of the inmates.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.