Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
1st District Election
Mon September 16, 2013
Independent Candidate Sues Ala. Over Ballot Access
An independent candidate trying to run for former U.S. Rep. Jo Bonner's seat is suing the state.
James Hall of Stapleton says he filed suit against the state Monday. He's seeking easier access to the general election ballot in the 1st Congressional District.
Alabama law requires Hall to get the signatures of nearly 5,400 registered voters by Sept. 24 to get on the ballot. He says the short time frame for the special election makes that impossible. His federal court suit seeks to lower the number of signatures needed for ballot access.
The primary election is Sept. 24. Nine Republicans and two Democrats are running to replace Bonner, who resigned last month to work for the University of Alabama System.
1st District Race