Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue July 31, 2012
Huntsville Students Want Campus Chick-fil-A Closed
Some students at the University of Alabama in Huntsville are calling for the campus Chick-fil-A restaurant to close after a company executive's comments caused an uproar in the debate over gay marriage. Members of UA Huntsville's Gay-Straight Alliance want the restaurant shut down. GSA Founder and President Heather Shelton said having the restaurant on campus is not consistent with the university's anti-discrimination policy. She said the group plans to take up the issue with Sodexo, which operates the campus Chick-fil-A. Another student, Adelle Sutton, disagrees. Sutton said Chick-fil-A is a Christian company, and that people should be respectful of everyone's opinions. Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy told the Baptist Press this month that the Atlanta-based company was "guilty as charged" for backing "the biblical definition of a family." Copyright 2012 The Associated Press