Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Sat January 4, 2014
Huntsville Mayor Calls Boeing Significant Partner
Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle is calling Boeing a significant community partner after the city lost its bid to build the company's new 777X jetliner.
Huntsville was among more than 50 sites in 22 states whose leaders tried to convince Boeing to open its $10 billion assembly plant in their communities. Al.com reports the manufacturing operation will support an estimated 8,500 jobs.
That manufacturing plant will be located in Everett, Wash.
Battle said the process has allowed Huntsville to highlight its engineering, technology and manufacturing capabilities. He called Boeing a "significant community partner." Last month, Boeing selected Huntsville for a $6 million research center.