Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Sat January 4, 2014
Huntsville Mayor Calls Boeing Significant Partner
Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle is calling Boeing a significant community partner after the city lost its bid to build the company's new 777X jetliner.
Huntsville was among more than 50 sites in 22 states whose leaders tried to convince Boeing to open its $10 billion assembly plant in their communities. Al.com reports the manufacturing operation will support an estimated 8,500 jobs.
That manufacturing plant will be located in Everett, Wash.
Battle said the process has allowed Huntsville to highlight its engineering, technology and manufacturing capabilities. He called Boeing a "significant community partner." Last month, Boeing selected Huntsville for a $6 million research center.