Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Neighborhood Watch-Alabama Rally
Mon July 15, 2013
Hundreds Protest Zimmerman Acquittal In Birmingham
Hundreds of demonstrators are rallying at a park in downtown Birmingham to protest the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial.
The 29-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer was acquitted Saturday in the February 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla.
Marlon Wright was among the demonstrators who gathered at Kelly Ingram Park Monday and said he has to be wary around police as a young black man. He says he fears that Zimmerman's acquittal will only make matters worse.
Wanda Erskine says the verdict stunned her because she lost her own son to gun violence.
The crowd marched along downtown streets singing civil rights hymns and chanting "No justice, no peace," as police looked on.
Demonstrators have planned to gather for additional protests.
Politics & Government