Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Thu July 29, 2004
House Speaker Gets New Position
By Alabama Public Radio
Andalusia, AL – House Speaker Seth Hammett has been named economic development director for the Alabama Electric Cooperative. Hammett will assume his new position August first. Gary Smith is the president and chief executive officer of the Andalusia-based electric cooperative. Smith says Hammett will work on economic development and industrial recruitment projects in the south Alabama areas that are served by the cooperative. Hammett is leaving his position as vice president of business development at SouthTrust Bank for the position. Hammett also announced earlier this month that he would not be a candidate for the Democratic Party nomination for governor in 2006. He says he instead plans to seek a third term as speaker.