Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu July 29, 2004
House Speaker Gets New Position
By Alabama Public Radio
Andalusia, AL – House Speaker Seth Hammett has been named economic development director for the Alabama Electric Cooperative. Hammett will assume his new position August first. Gary Smith is the president and chief executive officer of the Andalusia-based electric cooperative. Smith says Hammett will work on economic development and industrial recruitment projects in the south Alabama areas that are served by the cooperative. Hammett is leaving his position as vice president of business development at SouthTrust Bank for the position. Hammett also announced earlier this month that he would not be a candidate for the Democratic Party nomination for governor in 2006. He says he instead plans to seek a third term as speaker.