Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon January 24, 2005
Hot Air Balloon Lands Between Interstate
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Landing a hot air balloon on a busy interstate doesn't happen every day, but it did happen Monday morning in Alabama. A hot air balloon landed on a stretch of Interstate 65 near Birmingham. The pilot and two passengers landed in the median near the Highway 119 exit ramp. The pilot says high winds pushed the balloon toward Oak Mountain State Park, and that forced him to make an emergency landing in the median. No one was injured. However, the spectacle did affect morning traffic as motorists slowed down to watch.