Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Sun June 2, 2013
High bacteria warning for Mississippi beaches
GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — State officials are warning that the water along several stretches of beach in Harrison County may have high bacteria levels that could expose swimmers to an increased risk of illness. The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality issued a warning Saturday for two beach segments in Biloxi and Gulfport. Neither area has been closed to swimming. Officials issued the same warning Friday for three other stretches of beach in Harrison County. The department said it is working with local officials to inform residents about the potential problem. The advisories will be lifted when water samples show that bacteria levels are safe.