Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue July 6, 2004
Harris Home After Serving HealthSouth Sentence
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – A former HealthSouth executive is back home after serving a five-month prison sentence for his role in accounting fraud at the healthcare giant. Emery Harris was the only one to serve time of the 10 former executives who've pleaded guilty and been sentenced in the multibillion dollar scandal. Federal judges have given the others a combination of house arrest, probation, fines and forfeitures. Prosecutors have challenged some of the sentences. Some law experts say the sentences are unusually lenient...but others say prosecutors are still working their way toward key players, including former C-E-O Richard Scrushy. He's the only executive implicated in the earnings overstatement who has not pleaded guilty.