Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Fri October 5, 2012
Groups Try to Increase Hispanic Voting in Ala
There's a new push to increase Hispanic voter registration in Alabama.
The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute will host a voter registration drive aimed at Hispanic citizens on Saturday.
The event is being co-sponsored by Rivera Communications, which operates a Spanish-language radio station that broadcasts in central Alabama. The station is promoting the drive on the air.
The head of education and exhibits at the museum, Ahmad Ward, says the registration drive is open to anyone who is eligible to vote. But it's specifically targeting Hispanics who aren't currently registered ahead of the November election.
Sponsors say the drive is part of Hispanic Heritage Month.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.