Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu July 11, 2013
Governor Bentley's Flights Cost $621,712 In 21 Months
Gov. Robert Bentley's office spent $621,712 on travel in state-owned airplanes in his first 21 months in office.
The Decatur Daily and TimesDaily obtained the figures by filing an open records request with the Bentley administration.
Most of the travel was on a six-passenger jet owned by the state Department of Transportation. That agency billed the governor's office $598,610. The remaining $23,102 was for using aircraft operated by two other state agencies.
Bentley's spokesman, Jeremy King, said the governor has to fly to be everywhere he needs to be. He said it's not unusual for him to have meetings in multiple cities in one day. He said Bentley's expenses are similar to the $527,280 that the Transportation Department charged during Gov. Bob Riley's first 21 months.
Governor - France