Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Fri May 31, 2013
Governor Bentley picks interim Finance Director
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama Governor Robert Bentley has appointed Bill Newton to serve as acting finance director. Bentley said Friday that Newton, who previously served as assistant finance director, has more than 30 years of experience in state government finance operations. Newton oversaw two state budgets, purchasing, accounting, payroll, financial reporting and debt management functions in his previous role. Bentley says Newton's commitment to public service and legal background made him the ideal candidate for the position. Newton says he looks forward to continuing to work with the Department of Finance to ensure state officials use taxpayer money effectively and efficiently. Newton's appointment is effective June 1.