Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Governor - Education
Wed February 6, 2013
Gov. Bentley Ups School Funding, Level Funds Others
Alabama's governor is proposing an education budget that gives small increases to all levels of education from kindergarten through college.
Gov. Robert Bentley unveiled his recommended budgets Wednesday. His education budget includes a 2.5 percent pay raise for public school employees and a substantial expansion of Alabama's pre-kindergarten program for 4-year-olds.
His General Fund budget would give most state agencies the same amount in the new year that they are getting this year. There is no pay raise for state employees. The budget does include an increase for prisons to cover the higher cost of inmate health care and new security features at Alabama's prison for women, where there have been complaints of sexual abuse by male officers.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
2013 Legislative Session