Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon February 4, 2013
Gov. Bentley Announces 302 Road Projects
Gov. Robert Bentley has announced 302 more road and bridge projects that the state will finance with bond sales.
The 302 projects announced Monday total $398 million. That boosts his Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program to 439 projects totaling $613 million.
The largest projects include $18.7 million in Tuscaloosa to extend Fifth Avenue to Hackberry Lane at the University of Alabama campus and $16.6 million in Foley to extend Pride Drive from Alabama Highway 59 to County Road 20.
Cities and counties applied to the state to have projects approved, and they agreed to put up as much as 20 percent of the funding. The governor said the state's share comes from selling bonds that will be paid for with future funding from the federal government for highway improvements.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.