Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Mon May 26, 2014
GOP Supermajority Plays Defense In Primaries
A bitter war is erupting for control of the Alabama Statehouse and this time it is Republican versus Republican.
Republicans won a majority in the Alabama Legislature in 2010, but in 2014 many incumbents are facing primary party challenges.
Republican Senate leader Del Marsh called many of the challengers RINOs, or Republicans in name only. He said many were funded by the Alabama Education Association, which has often been at odds with current legislators.
Challengers say the often business-aligned majority has short-changed tea party voters and failed to live up to 2010 promises to change Montgomery.
The primary election is June 3.
Politics & Government