Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Mon May 26, 2014
GOP Supermajority Plays Defense In Primaries
A bitter war is erupting for control of the Alabama Statehouse and this time it is Republican versus Republican.
Republicans won a majority in the Alabama Legislature in 2010, but in 2014 many incumbents are facing primary party challenges.
Republican Senate leader Del Marsh called many of the challengers RINOs, or Republicans in name only. He said many were funded by the Alabama Education Association, which has often been at odds with current legislators.
Challengers say the often business-aligned majority has short-changed tea party voters and failed to live up to 2010 promises to change Montgomery.
The primary election is June 3.
Politics & Government