Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon May 26, 2014
GOP Supermajority Plays Defense In Primaries
A bitter war is erupting for control of the Alabama Statehouse and this time it is Republican versus Republican.
Republicans won a majority in the Alabama Legislature in 2010, but in 2014 many incumbents are facing primary party challenges.
Republican Senate leader Del Marsh called many of the challengers RINOs, or Republicans in name only. He said many were funded by the Alabama Education Association, which has often been at odds with current legislators.
Challengers say the often business-aligned majority has short-changed tea party voters and failed to live up to 2010 promises to change Montgomery.
The primary election is June 3.
Politics & Government