Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu January 24, 2013
Friday's Freezing Rain Forces School Delays In North Alabama
Alabama transportation officials say winter storm forecasts for northern portions of Alabama likely will result in icy roads causing hazardous driving conditions.
The Alabama Department of Public Safety and the Alabama Department of Transportation strongly encourage all motorists to drive with extreme caution and to avoid roadways when weather conditions are prohibitive.
Much of northern Alabama is under a freezing rain advisory until mid to late morning tomorrow.
Many school systems are electing to delay school start times by two hours or more so motorists are being advised to check with local schools and on road conditions before heading out.
The Alabama Department of Transportation's website has 24-hour updates on road conditions.
The following school systems have announced schedule changes for Friday morning:
- Albertville City Schools – delayed 3 hours
- Arab City Schools – opening at 10 a.m.
- Boaz City Schools – delayed 3 hours
- Colbert County Schools – will open at 10:30 a.m. Buses will run at 9:15 a.m.
- Covenant Christian Academy Tuscumbia – 10:00 a.m.
- Etowah County Schools – delayed 3 hours
- Franklin County Schools (AL) – opening at 10 a.m.
- Guntersville City Schools – delayed 3 hours
- Lauderdale County Schools – opening 10:30 a.m.
- Lawrence County Schools (AL) – opening at 10:30 a.m.
- Limestone County Schools – delayed 2 hours
- Marshall County Schools – delayed 3 hours; will re-evaluate situation at 8 a.m. Friday.
- Muscle Shoals City Schools – will delay 2 hours
- Russellville City Schools – opening at 10 a.m.
- Scottsboro City Schools – delaying 3 hours
- Sheffield City Schools – delaying 2 hours
- Shoals Christian Academy – delayed 2 hours
- University of North Alabama & Kilby Laboratory School – delayed until 10 a.m. Friday; Thursday evening classes to meet as scheduled