Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Politics & Government
Wed September 5, 2012
Friday Deadline to Register to Vote in Alabama
Friday is the deadline to register to vote in Alabama's constitutional amendment referendum on Sept. 18.
Secretary of State Beth Chapman says citizens can register at their local board of registrars or they can fill out forms at state and county offices that provide public assistance, such as the state Department of Human Resources. She says forms are also available when obtaining or renewing a driver's license.
Chapman is also reminding voters that Thursday, Sept. 13 is the last day to apply for an absentee ballot for the referendum.
The referendum is for a proposed constitutional amendment that would allow state officials to take $437 million out of a state trust fund over three years to help finance the state General Fund budget.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.