Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Politics & Government
Wed September 5, 2012
Friday Deadline to Register to Vote in Alabama
Friday is the deadline to register to vote in Alabama's constitutional amendment referendum on Sept. 18.
Secretary of State Beth Chapman says citizens can register at their local board of registrars or they can fill out forms at state and county offices that provide public assistance, such as the state Department of Human Resources. She says forms are also available when obtaining or renewing a driver's license.
Chapman is also reminding voters that Thursday, Sept. 13 is the last day to apply for an absentee ballot for the referendum.
The referendum is for a proposed constitutional amendment that would allow state officials to take $437 million out of a state trust fund over three years to help finance the state General Fund budget.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.