Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue January 14, 2014
Founding President Of Ala. University Dead At 95
University of Mobile officials say they're mourning the loss of the school's founding president, William K. Weaver.
In a statement Tuesday, university officials said 95-year-old Weaver died Jan. 13. A memorial service is scheduled for 1 p.m. Jan. 16 at the First Baptist Church of Mobile. His cause of death is unclear.
Weaver retired as the university's president in 1984 and served as chancellor until his death.
University officials say Weaver served as a U.S. Navy Chaplain Corps lieutenant during World War II and was stationed in Massachusetts, the Pacific and in Norman, Okla.
School officials say the University of Mobile is a Baptist affiliated institution, and has a current enrollment of about 1,600 students.