Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Tue January 14, 2014
Founding President Of Ala. University Dead At 95
University of Mobile officials say they're mourning the loss of the school's founding president, William K. Weaver.
In a statement Tuesday, university officials said 95-year-old Weaver died Jan. 13. A memorial service is scheduled for 1 p.m. Jan. 16 at the First Baptist Church of Mobile. His cause of death is unclear.
Weaver retired as the university's president in 1984 and served as chancellor until his death.
University officials say Weaver served as a U.S. Navy Chaplain Corps lieutenant during World War II and was stationed in Massachusetts, the Pacific and in Norman, Okla.
School officials say the University of Mobile is a Baptist affiliated institution, and has a current enrollment of about 1,600 students.