Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Politics & Government
Fri April 18, 2014
Former Secretary of Alabama Senate Dies
Former longtime secretary of the Alabama state Senate, McDowell Lee, has died at the age of 89.
His daughter Margaret Cunningham says Lee died Thursday afternoon after a brief illness at his home in Auburn.
Lee served as a secretary of the state senate for 47 years before retiring in 2010. Lee was the nation's longest serving legislative secretary at the time of his retirement.
Lee was renowned for his knowledge of Alabama's legislative procedures and Cunningham says he was a third generation civil servant for the state of Alabama.
Cunningham says a visitation for Lee will be held at the Jeffcoat-Trant Funeral Home from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday. A graveside funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Pea River Presbyterian Church in Clio.