Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Politics & Government
Fri April 18, 2014
Former Secretary of Alabama Senate Dies
Former longtime secretary of the Alabama state Senate, McDowell Lee, has died at the age of 89.
His daughter Margaret Cunningham says Lee died Thursday afternoon after a brief illness at his home in Auburn.
Lee served as a secretary of the state senate for 47 years before retiring in 2010. Lee was the nation's longest serving legislative secretary at the time of his retirement.
Lee was renowned for his knowledge of Alabama's legislative procedures and Cunningham says he was a third generation civil servant for the state of Alabama.
Cunningham says a visitation for Lee will be held at the Jeffcoat-Trant Funeral Home from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday. A graveside funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Pea River Presbyterian Church in Clio.