Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon October 13, 2003
Former HealthSouth C-E-O Says He Trusted His Officers
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Richard Scrushy says he knew nothing of the two-point-five billion dollars worth of accounting fraud at HealthSouth. The company's former C-E-O says his top financial officers are to blame. Scrushy was featured on a segment of C-B-S's "60 Minutes" last night. He told reporter Mike Wallace he approved fraudulent accounting figures because he trusted his five chief financial officers. Scrushy also says he doesn't think the scandal will cause him to go to prison. Scrushy is scheduled to appear before a congressional committee next week. The House Energy and Commerce Committee is investigating the accounting fraud at HealthSouth. But Scrushy's attorneys say he will invoke his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and will not answer some of the committee's questions.