Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri August 6, 2004
Federal Judge Disqualifies Siegelman Defense Team
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Former Governor Don Siegelman says he's disappointed that a federal judge has disqualified the majority of his defense team. But Siegelman says the fact that Doug Jones and Jack Drake are gone does not change the essential facts of his case. Siegelman says new attorneys will be brought in it to represent him on conspiracy charges. Siegelman made the announcement at a joint news conference with Jones Thursday. U-S Attorney Alice Martin says that conference was just another attempt by Siegelman's side to complain and criticize the prosecution. Federal Judge U-W Clemon disqualified Jones, Drake and their law firm because Jones was a U-S attorney during the early stages of the investigation that led to the indictment of Siegelman's co-defendant, Phillip Bobo.