Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon May 13, 2013
Federal inspectors target Alabama's Browns Ferry nuclear plant
Federal regulators are conducting a major inspection this week at the Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant near Athens. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission will be at the Tennessee Valley Authority installation starting Monday. The review is related to serious safety violations revealed at the plant's Unit 1 reactor in 2011. Regulators cited the plant with a major safety violation after workers failed to detect a faulty valve in a cooling system. The agency says the problem revealed inadequate safety procedures at the plant. The inspection this week is the final big step toward Browns Ferry coming out from under increased oversight linked to the problem.