Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Fri May 24, 2013
Extra Troopers, Less Road in Ala. During Weekend
Motorists traveling through Alabama during the long Memorial Day weekend will see extra state troopers on the road.
Alabama officials announced the extra troopers are the result of the state participating in the nationwide Click It Or Ticket campaign to increase the use of safety belts. Many of the state's city and county law enforcement agencies are also participating.
The state Department of Transportation is anticipating heavy traffic and says it won't have any temporary lane closures on interstate highways from noon Friday through midnight Monday. The department also said road construction and maintenance work will be limited during the busy holiday weekend.