Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Fri November 30, 2012
Democratic Ala. Senator Complains About Obama
A state senator who supported Barack Obama in both presidential elections is expressing concerns about his leadership.
Democratic state Sen. Hank Sanders of Selma released a letter Thursday that he sent the president. Sanders voiced pride in some of Obama's actions, but deep concerns about other matters. The veteran black legislator said there is a widespread perception that Obama has not been accessible to African American leaders. He also said the president has avoided addressing racial issues and has appointed fewer African Americans to key positions than President Bill Clinton did. Sanders also said the Justice Department has been timid on voting rights issues.
The White House did not respond to requests for comment about Sanders' letter.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.