Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Tue July 15, 2014
DeMarco, Palmer Seek GOP Nod In Ala. 6th District
A state legislator and the founder of a conservative policy group are meeting in the runoff for the Republican nomination in Alabama's 6th congressional district.
State Rep. Paul DeMarco and Gary Palmer are competing in Tuesday's runoff to replace the retiring Rep. Spencer Bachus.
The winner faces Democrat Avery Vise in November. The central Alabama district is considered one of the nation's strongest-leaning Republican areas.
DeMarco easily led a crowded primary field in June. Palmer is trying to sway voters who supported other candidates to make up the difference.
Both men are portraying themselves as committed conservatives who will oppose President Barack Obama in Washington.
DeMarco is a lawyer who's been in the Alabama House since 2005. Palmer founded the Alabama Policy Institute more than two decades ago.
6th District Election
Alabama Runoff-5 Things