Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Tue July 15, 2014
DeMarco, Palmer Seek GOP Nod In Ala. 6th District
A state legislator and the founder of a conservative policy group are meeting in the runoff for the Republican nomination in Alabama's 6th congressional district.
State Rep. Paul DeMarco and Gary Palmer are competing in Tuesday's runoff to replace the retiring Rep. Spencer Bachus.
The winner faces Democrat Avery Vise in November. The central Alabama district is considered one of the nation's strongest-leaning Republican areas.
DeMarco easily led a crowded primary field in June. Palmer is trying to sway voters who supported other candidates to make up the difference.
Both men are portraying themselves as committed conservatives who will oppose President Barack Obama in Washington.
DeMarco is a lawyer who's been in the Alabama House since 2005. Palmer founded the Alabama Policy Institute more than two decades ago.
6th District Election
Alabama Runoff-5 Things