Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tue July 15, 2014
DeMarco, Palmer Seek GOP Nod In Ala. 6th District
A state legislator and the founder of a conservative policy group are meeting in the runoff for the Republican nomination in Alabama's 6th congressional district.
State Rep. Paul DeMarco and Gary Palmer are competing in Tuesday's runoff to replace the retiring Rep. Spencer Bachus.
The winner faces Democrat Avery Vise in November. The central Alabama district is considered one of the nation's strongest-leaning Republican areas.
DeMarco easily led a crowded primary field in June. Palmer is trying to sway voters who supported other candidates to make up the difference.
Both men are portraying themselves as committed conservatives who will oppose President Barack Obama in Washington.
DeMarco is a lawyer who's been in the Alabama House since 2005. Palmer founded the Alabama Policy Institute more than two decades ago.
6th District Election
Alabama Runoff-5 Things