Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Tuscaloosa County Sheriff
Sat March 16, 2013
Decision on New Tuscaloosa Sheriff Expected Soon
A spokeswoman for Gov. Robert Bentley says he expects to appoint a new sheriff for Tuscaloosa County soon.
Sheriff Ted Sexton announced March 8 that he's leaving Tuscaloosa County after 22 years on the job. The Tuscaloosa News reports (http://bit.ly/YyKbMp ) Sexton starts work Monday as homeland security division director for the Los Angeles County sheriff in California.
Jennifer Ardis, the governor's spokeswoman, says potential candidates have submitted their names for the governor to consider and community groups have made recommendations as well. She gave no timeline for Bentley to make a decision, other than to say he plans to name a replacement soon.
The Tuscaloosa County sheriff supervises a department of 217 employees with a $20 million budget.
Information from: The Tuscaloosa News, http://www.tuscaloosanews.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.