Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Fri May 9, 2014
DA Looking At Ala. Senate Candidate's Expenditures
A district attorney in east Alabama says he has begun a preliminary investigation into the campaign finances of Republican state Senate candidate Tim Sprayberry of Heflin.
District Attorney E. Paul Jones said Friday it appears that there are campaign contributions that were not reported. He said it also appears campaign funds were spent on personal expenses.
Jones said several complaints prompted the investigation, and it is ongoing.
A friend speaking on Sprayberry's behalf, Baron Coleman, said the prosecutor never contacted Sprayberry with any questions. Coleman called the announcement a blatant political move designed to influence the election.
Sprayberry is running in the Republican primary in Senate District 13 against incumbent Gerald Dial. The primary is June 3.
Sprayberry's home is not in Jones' circuit, but part of District 13 is.