Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri May 9, 2014
DA Looking At Ala. Senate Candidate's Expenditures
A district attorney in east Alabama says he has begun a preliminary investigation into the campaign finances of Republican state Senate candidate Tim Sprayberry of Heflin.
District Attorney E. Paul Jones said Friday it appears that there are campaign contributions that were not reported. He said it also appears campaign funds were spent on personal expenses.
Jones said several complaints prompted the investigation, and it is ongoing.
A friend speaking on Sprayberry's behalf, Baron Coleman, said the prosecutor never contacted Sprayberry with any questions. Coleman called the announcement a blatant political move designed to influence the election.
Sprayberry is running in the Republican primary in Senate District 13 against incumbent Gerald Dial. The primary is June 3.
Sprayberry's home is not in Jones' circuit, but part of District 13 is.