Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Mon May 7, 2012
Condoleezza Rice To Co-Chair Civil Rights Events
Birmingham, AL – Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is set to serve as co-chair of events for the 50th anniversary of Birmingham's civil rights activities in 1963.
Mayor William Bell on Monday announced Rice's participation in the commemoration. He says he expects to have more big names lined up for the events in the months to come.
Important events that year included Martin Luther King Jr.'s letter from the Birmingham jail, the children's marches and the bombing of Sixteenth Street Baptist Church that killed four young girls.
Rice is a native of Birmingham.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)