Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Mon May 7, 2012
Condoleezza Rice To Co-Chair Civil Rights Events
Birmingham, AL – Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is set to serve as co-chair of events for the 50th anniversary of Birmingham's civil rights activities in 1963.
Mayor William Bell on Monday announced Rice's participation in the commemoration. He says he expects to have more big names lined up for the events in the months to come.
Important events that year included Martin Luther King Jr.'s letter from the Birmingham jail, the children's marches and the bombing of Sixteenth Street Baptist Church that killed four young girls.
Rice is a native of Birmingham.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)