Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Wed February 19, 2014
Committees Taking Up High-Profile Bills Wednesday
Legislative committees will be busy today with some high-profile bills set to be considered.
The House Education Policy Committee will consider a bill that would allow teachers to read the opening prayers of Congress at the start of the school day and another bill to clarify that private schools are not subject to regulation by the State Department of Education.
Also, the House Health Committee is considering multiple abortion bills - including one that would ban abortion after the fetal heartbeat is detected.
Another committee is considering a bill that would phase out the state sales tax on groceries and increasethe tax on other purchases.