Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Tue August 24, 2004
Commission Talking "Behind the Scenes"
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – A task force charged with developing ways to control rising health care costs for public employees hasn't been meeting publicly. But apparently, its members have been talking behind-the-scenes. Mac McArthur of the Alabama State Employees Association says talks have continued since the task force's last public meeting on July 21st. Governor Bob Riley says if the discussions produce some type of plan, he'll consider asking the Legislature to approve it in a special session in October. But Retirement Systems C-E-O David Bronner says calling a special session would be a waste of time if the plan is not supported by public employees' lobbying groups.