Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu March 18, 2004
Civil War Sites Targeted by Clean Up Effort
By Alabama Public Radio
Washington, DC – Three of Alabama historic Civil War sites will be the targets of a clean-up effort later this month.
The Civil War Preservation Trust is calling for volunteers to help them restore Brierfield Ironworks, Fort Gaines on the coast and Old Cahawba. A group spokesperson says they hope to find about 20 volunteers to take part in the clean up effort at each site. The Civil War Preservation Trust has preserved and restored more than 80 historic sites and purchased 18-thousand acres of historic battleground across the nation.
The restoration efforts at Brierfield Ironworks, Fort Gaines and Old Cahawba are part of what is called Park Day. It will be held on Saturday March 27th.