Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon August 12, 2013
Civil Rights Leader to be Honored in Birmingham
The Federation of Southern Cooperatives Land Assistance Fund will honor a civil rights activist with a lifetime achievement award this week.
Spokeswoman Angela Brown said in a release that C.T. Vivian, a freedom rider and Southern Christian Leadership Conference organizer, is being honored by the organization Thursday at its 46th annual Anniversary Celebration at the Sheraton Hotel in Birmingham.
Vivian joined in his first sit-in demonstrations in the 1940s in Peoria, Ill., long before the movement became national news.
Late last week, the White House announced that Vivian is one of 16 people being honored this year with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
The Federation of Southern Cooperatives Land Assistance Fund works to create self-supporting communities through land retention and development.