Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon March 10, 2014
Chiquita Brands To Buy Irish Rival
Originally published on Mon March 10, 2014 8:59 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news begins with a soon-to-be top banana.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
MONTAGNE: An American company long synonymous with bananas is merging with an Irish rival to create the world's biggest banana company. The new company will be called ChiquitaFyffes, and it's expected to have annual sales of $4.6 billion.
A Chiquita executive tell The Wall Street Journal that ChiquitaFyffes will be able to offer customers, quote, "a more diverse product mix and choice." The deal is also expected to save money at a time when the cost of producing fruit is on the rise. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.