Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed May 29, 2013
China's Shuanghui Buys Pork Giant Smithfield For $4.7 Billion
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news begins with a meaty Chinese investment in the U.S.
A Chinese meat producer plans to buy the U.S. meat company Smithfield for $4.7 billion dollars. Smithfield is the world's largest pork producers, and by some estimates, if this deal is approved by regulators, it would be the biggest takeover of a U.S. company by a Chinese company.
The Chinese meat producer is called Shuanghui. It's enticing Smithfield's shareholders by offering $34 a share. And that's about 30 percent more than Smithfield's current stock price. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.