Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Business Council Backs Ballot
Mon August 13, 2012
Business Council Of Alabama Supports Sept. Ballot
A prominent business group, the Business Council of Alabama, has voted to support approval of a proposed constitutional amendment that will be on the ballot Sept. 18.
The amendment would permit the removal of nearly $146 million a year for three years from a state trust fund for use in balancing the state General Fund budget.
BCA President William Canary said Alabama is in a "predicament because of a sustained, ongoing failure of leadership," but imminent hardship will occur if the constitutional amendment is not approved.
Canary said BCA would like to see the Legislature pass a bill requiring the money to be repaid in the future to the Alabama Trust Fund.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.