Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon October 25, 2004
Bridge Project Will Begin Next Week
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Engineers with the state transportation department plan to begin repairing a damaged bridge on Interstate 59-20 next week. The work is expected to be complete by the end of the year. Meanwhile, they're urging motorists to detour around the area in downtown Birmingham known as "Malfunction Junction." It's where Interstates 59-20 and 65 intersect. A tanker truck loaded with thousands of gallons of diesel fuel overturned and exploded under the bridge Friday. The driver was not hurt. The bridge replacement project is estimated to cost about four million dollars.