Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Business & Education
Wed November 14, 2012
Blast at Ala Plant Injures 1
An explosion at an industrial plant rocked the Shoals area of northwest Alabama and injured one person.
Authorities say the blast occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday at Cherokee Nitrogen, which is located in Cherokee.
Plant officials say the explosion happened in a section of the factory where workers make ammonia. It rattled homes throughout Colbert County and into Lauderdale County.
One person was hurt, but plant manager Don Phillips says the injuries weren't life-threatening. He says no dangerous chemicals were released into the community.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.