Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Business & Education
Wed November 14, 2012
Blast at Ala Plant Injures 1
An explosion at an industrial plant rocked the Shoals area of northwest Alabama and injured one person.
Authorities say the blast occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday at Cherokee Nitrogen, which is located in Cherokee.
Plant officials say the explosion happened in a section of the factory where workers make ammonia. It rattled homes throughout Colbert County and into Lauderdale County.
One person was hurt, but plant manager Don Phillips says the injuries weren't life-threatening. He says no dangerous chemicals were released into the community.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.