Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama Medicaid Program
Sat February 23, 2013
Bill to Prevent Medicaid Abuse Passes Ala. House
The Alabama House has approved a bill aimed at cutting down on fraud and abuse in the state's Medicaid program.
The sponsor, Republican Rep. Jim McClendon of Springville, says the bill is aimed at stopping abuse of a program that exists to provide essential health care to the neediest citizens.
The bill was approved by the House on Thursday by a unanimous 99-0 vote. However, debate lasted for about three hours as some members, mostly Democrats, worked to make sure the measure could not be used to deny Medicaid services to legitimate applicants.
The bill is part of efforts to improve the state's Medicaid program. The measure was also a top priority for Republican leaders.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Politics & Government
Science & Health