Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon May 5, 2014
Best Hard News Feature Story "UPS Plane Crash" Alabama Public Radio
Early in the morning, on August 14, 2013, some residents of Birmingham were jolted out of bed by the impact. Others saw the fiery flash. Still more smelled the fumes of jet fuel. A United Parcel Service Airbus A300 cargo jet had crashed just short of the runway at Birmingham/Shuttlesworth International Airport. Alabama Public Radio's Pat Duggins covered the story from the initial reports, the perspective of witnesses at the scene, worried homeowners who were left coughing from the fuel spill, to investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board and the FBI Evidence Recovery Team