Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- BP and Gulf Coast Tourism, Alabama Choirs Headed to Japan
Politics & Government
Wed July 16, 2014
Beeker Upsets Incumbent Dunn for Alabama PSC
Challenger Chris "Chip" Beeker Jr. has upset incumbent Terry Dunn for the Republican nomination for Place 2 on the Alabama Public Service Commission.
With 86 percent of the precincts reporting Tuesday night, Beeker has 59 percent to Dunn's 41 percent.
The winner has no Democratic opposition in the general election Nov. 4.
Beeker was making his second run for the state's utility regulatory board. He drew support from some business and coal groups who were upset with Dunn calling for formal rate hearings for Alabama Power.