Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- Avery Johnson: "I'm Your Guy"
- Selma Auto Workers Lawsuit, Strange Wants Lethal Injection Drug, Mobile Bay Earth Day
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Jail Terms Handed To Most Atlanta Teachers Convicted In Cheating Scandal
Tue May 27, 2014
Auburn Sports Contract Focus Of Hubbard Race
A decade-old old broadcasting contract at Auburn University is taking center stage in a new campaign ad.
Auburn University's former lobbyist appears in the television spot accusing Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard of getting confidential information to win the college's broadcasting contract more than a decade ago.
Lobbyist Buddy Mitchell says he gave Hubbard copies of the proposals to broadcast Auburn sporting events. Mitchell says that enabled Hubbard to undercut his competitors and win the 2002 contract.
Hubbard says the accusation is blatantly false and politically motivated. He calls the ad gutter politics and trash tactics.
The ad is paid for by Sandy Toomer, Hubbard's opponent in the June 3 Republican primary for House District 79.