Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Tue May 27, 2014
Auburn Sports Contract Focus Of Hubbard Race
A decade-old old broadcasting contract at Auburn University is taking center stage in a new campaign ad.
Auburn University's former lobbyist appears in the television spot accusing Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard of getting confidential information to win the college's broadcasting contract more than a decade ago.
Lobbyist Buddy Mitchell says he gave Hubbard copies of the proposals to broadcast Auburn sporting events. Mitchell says that enabled Hubbard to undercut his competitors and win the 2002 contract.
Hubbard says the accusation is blatantly false and politically motivated. He calls the ad gutter politics and trash tactics.
The ad is paid for by Sandy Toomer, Hubbard's opponent in the June 3 Republican primary for House District 79.