Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Wed January 7, 2004
Athens Police Officers Buried
By Alabama Public Radio
Athens, AL – More than a thousand family members, friends and fellow officers gathered yesterday to honor two Athens police officers killed in an apparent ambush.
Sergeant Larry Russell and officer Tony Mims were remembered in separate memorial services attended by representatives from some 70 law enforcement agencies and three states. Athens Mayor Dan Williams eulogized both officers -- calling them "two good men, two good cops.''
Russell and Mims were shot and killed last Friday after they arrived at a downtown Athens residence in response to a call from a man asking to speak to the FBI.
Farron Barksdale was arrested just minutes after the shootings and is being held without bond at the Limestone County Jail. He faces six capital murder charges.