Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed January 23, 2013
ASU Trustee Resigns From Board
The lone Alabama State University trustee to vote against a separation agreement with former president Joseph Silver has resigned.
Kathy Sawyer did not provide Gov. Robert Bentley with a reason for her resignation, but says she does not believe she can make any contributions to the school's board of trustees. The newspaper reports Bentley thanked Sawyer for her service and says she has served with dignity and integrity.
Sawyer spoke out against the school's plan to pay Joseph Silver $685,000 to resign from the position he held for just over two months after he was placed on paid administrative leave in November. Sawyer called the separation agreement a disgrace to the university and questioned where the money to pay Silver would come from.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.