Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Business & Education
Fri November 30, 2012
ASU Attorney: Silver Sent E-mail Firing Officials
A lawyer for Alabama State University says suspended President Joseph Silver sent letters by email telling two top administrators they were being fired.
Attorney Kenneth Thomas said the emails were sent Monday to executive vice president John Knight and communications director Danielle Kennedy during a meeting where a committee of the board of trustees placed Silver on paid administrative leave.
Thomas said the emails were sent at 5:37 p.m. and 5:38 p.m. Monday. Silver has said he fired Knight and Kennedy.
Copies of the letters released by the university said Knight and Kennedy were terminated for "cause and insubordination."
Thomas said the emails do not meet requirements for terminating an employee for cause. Silver could not immediately be reached for comment by phone or at his home.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.