Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Business & Education
Fri November 30, 2012
ASU Attorney: Silver Sent E-mail Firing Officials
A lawyer for Alabama State University says suspended President Joseph Silver sent letters by email telling two top administrators they were being fired.
Attorney Kenneth Thomas said the emails were sent Monday to executive vice president John Knight and communications director Danielle Kennedy during a meeting where a committee of the board of trustees placed Silver on paid administrative leave.
Thomas said the emails were sent at 5:37 p.m. and 5:38 p.m. Monday. Silver has said he fired Knight and Kennedy.
Copies of the letters released by the university said Knight and Kennedy were terminated for "cause and insubordination."
Thomas said the emails do not meet requirements for terminating an employee for cause. Silver could not immediately be reached for comment by phone or at his home.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.