Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Business & Education
Fri November 30, 2012
ASU Attorney: Silver Sent E-mail Firing Officials
A lawyer for Alabama State University says suspended President Joseph Silver sent letters by email telling two top administrators they were being fired.
Attorney Kenneth Thomas said the emails were sent Monday to executive vice president John Knight and communications director Danielle Kennedy during a meeting where a committee of the board of trustees placed Silver on paid administrative leave.
Thomas said the emails were sent at 5:37 p.m. and 5:38 p.m. Monday. Silver has said he fired Knight and Kennedy.
Copies of the letters released by the university said Knight and Kennedy were terminated for "cause and insubordination."
Thomas said the emails do not meet requirements for terminating an employee for cause. Silver could not immediately be reached for comment by phone or at his home.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.