Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Business & Education
Fri November 30, 2012
ASU Attorney: Silver Sent E-mail Firing Officials
A lawyer for Alabama State University says suspended President Joseph Silver sent letters by email telling two top administrators they were being fired.
Attorney Kenneth Thomas said the emails were sent Monday to executive vice president John Knight and communications director Danielle Kennedy during a meeting where a committee of the board of trustees placed Silver on paid administrative leave.
Thomas said the emails were sent at 5:37 p.m. and 5:38 p.m. Monday. Silver has said he fired Knight and Kennedy.
Copies of the letters released by the university said Knight and Kennedy were terminated for "cause and insubordination."
Thomas said the emails do not meet requirements for terminating an employee for cause. Silver could not immediately be reached for comment by phone or at his home.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.